Friday, October 26, 2007

Black is the new... Black

Here are some photos from matriculation. Our camera is still somewhere on its way over to us, so these photos were taken by a friend. We tried to take some on a disposable camera, but we haven't developed that yet and in any case our scanner is in a box on a ship somewhere. So these will have to do. The long line of students is just the Wycliffe College group - the Matriculation ceremony was done several times over with about 9000 students at each 'sitting' apparently. (I didn't hear that from a proctor so I'm not prepared to swear to it). The building cloaked in attractive green scaffolding in the background is the Sheldonian, a famous theatre in Oxford, which is where the Matriculation ceremony was held.





You'll notice that at no time is Mark wearing his hat. You will also notice that we are both wearing black. At least on this score we are totally in agreement with a thousand years of Oxford custom. You can't beat black.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a fantastic tie.

Gordon Cheng said...

Badders, I can't say how delighted I am to see you in Oxford, and that God has brought you and J to this point. Thank you for the last general e-mail. I realized you had started a blog when I checked to discover that your words of wisdom were on another blog not far from here. Wonderful stuff.

Please keep updating. You and Jennie are two of our favourite people in the world and it is nice to see you posting on your very own blog.

Our prayers for both of you and the little one.

Baddelim said...

You're a champ Gordo, thanks very much.

I hope it's not the blog I think it is...(but I can't think of any other blog I've commented on recently).

in Christ,
MDB

Baddelim said...

The tie?

Oxford seems to have worked out how to micromanage formal academic dress to stop subversion with it's regulations regarding 'sub fusc'.

Men have to wear a white bow tie. I had toyed with trying to find one that span around and flashed but in the end, like the idea of wearing a chicken suit under the sub fusc, the idea was abandoned.

in Christ,
MDB