Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Baddelim Humour - You've Been Warned

Life here has been returning to normal. 'Normal' as in what passes for that as Jonathan passes the five week mark. He's begun learning to smile and seems to enjoy baths. We have been to church the last two Sunday's as a family of three - quite a milestone for us. It was kind of cool to go together as a unit of more than two. Jennie has managed to do some writing (almost finishing her SALT article) despite Jonathan's ongoing assault on her valiant attempts to sleep.

I got to my lectures last week (having decided to drop eveything except what I absolutely had to go to, given that the illness wiped a solid three weeks from my life). Despite the fact that I was up by half-way through last week and got to the lectures, it took a disturbingly long time before my body recovered enough for me to start to feel like I wanted to do things, or was able to read with profit. This has meant that, apart from the last three days, the last time I did solid work on my essays was December last year... It's a small cause of stress. Tomorrow I meet with my supervisor and we're going to try and hammer out the questions for my two 5000 word research essays. It would be an exercise that would have gone better with some more recent work behind them. I think it could be safely said that I'm now solidly behind the eight ball. Not disastrously, but certainly enough to work up a sweat.

But enough of such emo style trappings! One of the things Jennie and I enjoy is a good laugh. It's always a sign that our emotional balance is in the black. One of the things that interests us is the broad variety of what people find humorous. There's been several occassions when we've found something "hi-larious" (to quote the philosopher Jayne Cobb) only to find people we know divided between those who end up in tears, and those who look at us strangely and back away slowly. So you've been warned. Jennie stumbled across this yesterday, and it's the funniest thing we've come across for a while.

It's Hugh Laurie of House and Blackadder fame singing a love song. It is (of course) a parody of the genre. What particularly tickles my funny bone is that he successfully subverts both parts of the genre. As the song continues he abuses both the rhyming with 'mystery' and the requirement that his song should be about his hopeless love for his beloved. It is, for us at baddelim, quite delicious.

You've been warned.



MDB

7 comments:

Con Campbell said...

I like it!

Did you get my Facebook post of Bill Cosby? Gold for us jazz musicians, but still pretty funny I think for 'normal' people.

Lucy C said...

Estuary...need I say more?

/Karen/ said...

Oh! That was gold!!! :) Thanks for sharing!

Do you watch Extras? Here's my favourite scene in Season 2 (with Ian McKellen):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43sbtkQM6zc

bec said...

i think his pronounciation of January is a highlight.

Gordon Cheng said...

I thought the idea of your emotional balance being in the black was also quite funny, in a dark sort of way! ;-)

I think I'm glad to hear it, if you meant by it what I think you meant.

Nathan Lovell said...

Bonus points for the firefly reference! I didn't notice at first - Diane picked it up.

Jack Lim said...

Wonderful, they say the most effective use of power points are those which use images that are not related to the subject being preached (or lectured)and create a "synapse crackle". This sort of does the same thing, just with body language, words and melody. Had my synapses crackling anyway :-)